Fast food has become an integral part of our busy lives, and Del Taco is one of the popular choices for those who crave Mexican-American cuisine. However, with the growing concern for healthy eating, it’s essential to know the nutritional value of the food we consume. In this blog post, we will explore Del Taco nutrition and provide you with a comprehensive guide to making healthier choices when dining at this fast-food chain.
Del Taco Nutrition: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
Del Taco offers a wide variety of menu items, from tacos and burritos to salads and desserts. While some of these options can be high in calories, fat, and sodium, there are also healthier choices available. Let’s take a closer look at the nutritional value of some popular Del Taco menu items.
1. Fresca Bowls: These bowls are a healthier alternative to traditional burritos, as they come without the tortilla and are loaded with fresh ingredients. The Pollo Asado Grilled Chicken Bowl, for example, contains 440 calories, 19g of fat, and 1,060mg of sodium. While the sodium content is still relatively high, it is a better option compared to other menu items.
2. Street Tacos: These small tacos are made with corn tortillas, which are lower in calories and fat than flour tortillas. The Grilled Chicken Street Taco contains 140 calories, 5g of fat, and 310mg of sodium, making it a healthier option for those watching their calorie and fat intake.
3. Veggie Works Burrito: For vegetarians or those looking to cut back on meat, the Veggie Works Burrito is a good option. It contains 470 calories, 15g of fat, and 1,200mg of sodium. While the sodium content is still high, it is lower in calories and fat compared to other burritos on the menu.
1. Epic Burritos: While these burritos may be tempting due to their large size and delicious fillings, they are also high in calories, fat, and sodium. The Epic Queso Chicken Burrito, for example, contains a whopping 1,040 calories, 49g of fat, and 2,340mg of sodium.
2. Quesadillas: These cheesy menu items are high in calories and fat. The Chicken Quesadilla contains 540 calories, 30g of fat, and 1,290mg of sodium.
1. Desserts: While it may be tempting to indulge in a sweet treat, the desserts at Del Taco are high in calories and sugar. The Caramel Cheesecake Bites, for example, contain 670 calories, 34g of fat, and 51g of sugar.
Tips for Making Healthier Choices at Del Taco
1. Opt for grilled options: Grilled chicken or fish are leaner protein choices compared to beef or fried options.
2. Choose corn tortillas: Corn tortillas are lower in calories and fat than flour tortillas.
3. Go easy on the cheese and sour cream: These toppings can add significant calories and fat to your meal. Consider asking for them on the side or skipping them altogether.
4. Load up on veggies: Adding extra vegetables to your tacos, burritos, or bowls can increase the nutritional value of your meal without adding too many extra calories.
5. Watch portion sizes: Consider ordering a smaller portion or sharing a larger menu item with a friend to avoid overeating.
While Del Taco may not be the healthiest fast-food option out there, it is possible to make healthier choices when dining at this popular chain. By being mindful of the nutritional content of menu items and making smart swaps, you can enjoy a delicious meal without derailing your health goals. So the next time you find yourself craving Del Taco, keep this guide in mind and make choices that align with your nutritional needs.
FastFoodDeals is a seasoned fast food enthusiast and writer, bridging the gap between value and flavor. Through his blog, he provides the tastiest deals, reviews, and hacks for all your favorite fast food joints.
Their favorite fast food spot is Taco Bell, with their go-to order being a Bean and Cheese Burrito with sour cream and no onions, a Beef Chalupa with no tomatoes, and a large Baja Blast. And don't forget a side of creamy jalapeno sauce with a few Diablo sauce packets!