El Pollo Loco, the renowned fast-food chain, has been serving up delicious flame-grilled chicken and Mexican-inspired dishes since 1980. With over 480 locations across the United States, this popular eatery has become a go-to spot for many looking for a quick and tasty meal. But did you know that El Pollo Loco also offers a variety of nutritious options? In this comprehensive guide, we’ll dive into the world of El Pollo Loco nutrition, exploring their healthiest menu items, and providing tips on how to make the best choices for your dietary needs.
El Pollo Loco’s Commitment to Health
El Pollo Loco prides itself on using fresh, high-quality ingredients in all of their dishes. Their signature citrus-marinated, flame-grilled chicken is made without any added hormones, and they offer a variety of wholesome sides, such as salads, rice, and beans. Additionally, El Pollo Loco provides detailed nutritional information for all of their menu items on their website, making it easy for customers to make informed decisions about their meal choices.
Healthiest Menu Items at El Pollo Loco
If you’re looking for the healthiest options at El Pollo Loco, you’re in luck! There are plenty of nutritious choices available, whether you’re in the mood for a salad, a bowl, or a classic chicken meal.
1. Double Chicken Fit Plate: This protein-packed plate features two flame-grilled chicken breasts, a side of steamed broccoli, and a house salad with light Italian dressing. With only 470 calories and a whopping 69 grams of protein, this meal is perfect for those looking to fuel their workouts or maintain a high-protein diet.
2. Original Pollo Bowl: This classic bowl is filled with flame-grilled chicken, pinto beans, rice, onions, and cilantro. With 470 calories and 28 grams of protein, this satisfying meal is a great option for those looking for a balanced and nutritious lunch or dinner.
3. Chicken Black Bean Bowl: For a lower-calorie option, try the Chicken Black Bean Bowl. This dish features flame-grilled chicken, black beans, rice, red cabbage, and pico de gallo, all for just 370 calories and 26 grams of protein.
4. Classic Chicken Salad: If you’re in the mood for a salad, the Classic Chicken Salad is a great choice. With flame-grilled chicken, mixed greens, pico de gallo, cotija cheese, and light Italian dressing, this salad packs in 21 grams of protein and only 220 calories.
Tips for Making Healthier Choices at El Pollo Loco
When dining at El Pollo Loco, keep these tips in mind to make the healthiest choices possible:
1. Opt for grilled chicken: El Pollo Loco’s flame-grilled chicken is a lean and flavorful protein option. Avoid fried or breaded chicken, which can add unnecessary calories and fat to your meal.
2. Choose nutritious sides: Instead of opting for high-calorie sides like macaroni and cheese or french fries, choose healthier options like steamed broccoli, corn, or a side salad.
3. Watch the dressings and sauces: While El Pollo Loco offers a variety of tasty dressings and sauces, some can be high in calories and fat. Opt for lighter options like salsa or pico de gallo, or ask for dressings on the side to control the amount you use.
4. Customize your meal: Don’t be afraid to ask for modifications to your meal to make it healthier. For example, you can request your bowl without rice or your salad without cheese to reduce calories and carbs.
El Pollo Loco offers a wide variety of nutritious options for those looking to enjoy a delicious and healthy meal. By choosing lean proteins, wholesome sides, and being mindful of dressings and sauces, you can easily create a satisfying and nutritious meal at your favorite chicken joint. So the next time you’re craving El Pollo Loco, feel confident knowing that you can enjoy a tasty meal without compromising your health goals.
FastFoodDeals is a seasoned fast food enthusiast and writer, bridging the gap between value and flavor. Through his blog, he provides the tastiest deals, reviews, and hacks for all your favorite fast food joints.
Their favorite fast food spot is Taco Bell, with their go-to order being a Bean and Cheese Burrito with sour cream and no onions, a Beef Chalupa with no tomatoes, and a large Baja Blast. And don't forget a side of creamy jalapeno sauce with a few Diablo sauce packets!