KFC, also known as Kentucky Fried Chicken, is a popular fast-food chain known for its crispy fried chicken and delicious sides. While it may not be the first place that comes to mind when thinking about healthy eating, KFC has made strides in recent years to offer more nutritious options for its customers. In this blog post, we will dive deep into KFC nutrition and explore the healthier choices available at this fast-food giant. So, the next time you find yourself craving some finger-lickin’ good chicken, you can make informed decisions about what to order.
KFC Nutrition: Healthier Menu Options
1. Grilled Chicken
One of the best ways to enjoy KFC’s famous chicken without the guilt is by opting for their grilled chicken. This option is not only lower in calories and fat but also high in protein, making it a great choice for those looking to maintain a balanced diet. A single piece of grilled chicken contains around 180 calories, 8 grams of fat, and 21 grams of protein.
2. Green Beans
When it comes to side dishes, KFC offers a variety of options. However, not all of them are created equal in terms of nutrition. One of the healthiest choices is their green beans, which are low in calories and high in fiber. A serving of green beans contains only 25 calories, 0 grams of fat, and 2 grams of fiber, making it an excellent addition to your meal.
3. Corn on the Cob
Another nutritious side option at KFC is their corn on the cob. This delicious vegetable is low in calories and provides a good amount of fiber, making it a great choice for those looking to maintain a healthy diet. A small corn on the cob contains around 70 calories, 0.5 grams of fat, and 2 grams of fiber.
4. Mashed Potatoes (without gravy)
KFC’s mashed potatoes are a classic side dish that can be enjoyed without the guilt if you choose to skip the gravy. The mashed potatoes alone are relatively low in calories and fat, making them a healthier choice compared to other side dishes. A serving of mashed potatoes without gravy contains approximately 120 calories, 4 grams of fat, and 2 grams of fiber.
5. House Side Salad
If you’re looking for a lighter side dish, KFC’s house side salad is an excellent choice. This simple salad is low in calories and provides a good amount of vitamins and minerals. A house side salad contains around 15 calories, 0 grams of fat, and 1 gram of fiber. Be sure to choose a low-calorie dressing to keep the overall calorie count low.
KFC Nutrition: Tips for Making Healthier Choices
1. Opt for grilled chicken instead of fried: As mentioned earlier, grilled chicken is a much healthier option compared to fried chicken. It is lower in calories, fat, and sodium, making it a better choice for those looking to maintain a balanced diet.
2. Choose healthier sides: Instead of opting for high-calorie, high-fat sides like mac and cheese or potato wedges, choose options like green beans, corn on the cob, or a side salad to keep your meal nutritious.
3. Watch portion sizes: Fast-food portions can be quite large, so be mindful of how much you’re eating. Consider sharing a meal with a friend or saving leftovers for later to avoid overeating.
4. Skip the soda: Sugary beverages can add unnecessary calories to your meal. Opt for water, unsweetened iced tea, or a diet soda to keep your calorie intake in check.
While KFC may be known for its indulgent fried chicken and comfort food sides, there are healthier options available for those looking to enjoy a more balanced meal. By choosing grilled chicken, opting for nutritious sides, and being mindful of portion sizes, you can enjoy the delicious taste of KFC without compromising your health goals.